From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1991 14:27:07 CST
Lightning does strike twice. Michgan Tech must be wondering how
they have offended the gods.

Saturday, November 9, 1991:

        Michigan Tech	1  1  1  0  -  3
	Wisconsin	2  0  1  1  -  4

			      First Period
Scoring:
	Wisconsin - Moore 1(Zent, Balkovec), 4:16
	Wisconsin - Tucker 4(Plante, Balkovec), 10:13
	Michigan Tech - Peterson 2(Steer, Manninen), 15:40
Penalties:
	Garvey, MTU, 8:10
	Zent, W, 11:11
	Balkovec, W, 14:08
	Peca, MTU, 17:58
	Zent, W, 17:58 (double minor)
	Perrault, MTU, 19:59

			     Second Period
Scoring:
	Michigan Tech - Peterson 3(Hill), 2:35
Penalties:
	Sanderson, W, 4:00
	Richter, W, 5:12
	Garvey, MTU, 10:20
	Zent, W, 10:56 (10-minute misconduct)
	Helgeson, W, 11:31
	McEwen, MTU, 14:23
	Payne, MTU, 19:31 (double minor)
	Fairchild, W, 19:31 (double minor)

			      Third Period
Scoring:
	Michigan Tech - Storm 8(Young, Martini), pp, 1:59
	Wisconsin - Moore 2(Zent), 7:38
Penalties:
	Wisconsin Bench (unsportsmanlike conduct) :00
	Hill, MTU, 12:52
	Moore, W, 12:52
	Martini, MTU, 18:21
	Hill, MTU, 19:12 (Playing without proper equipment)

				Overtime
Scoring:
	Wisconsin - Francisco 2(Plante, Spencer), 1:25

Saves:
	Ram (MTU)	12  11  13  3  -  39
	Derksen (W)	 8  15  10  1  -  34

Power Play:
	Michigan Tech	2 for 7
	Wisconsin	0 for 5

Attendence:	8,644

I won't get to see the tape until tommorrow at the earliest, so I can't
really comment on the game in detail.

Wisconsin came out and played the way they wanted to in the first period,
and then let Tech back into the game by playing Tech's game in the
second.

For the second time in two nights, Wisconsin had a 5-on-3 powerplay in
overtime. The first penalty was called at 18:21 of the third, on Darcy
Martini. At 19:21, Hill lost his helmet in the corner, and continued to
play. The paper said he played for 10 to 15 seconds before skating to
the bench. When I watch the tape, I'll time i. Yackel had no choice but
to call the penalty -- it was very clear, and isn't (or shouldn't be) a
judgement call.

Wisconsin DID NOT score on either the 5-on-3 or the 5-on-4 powerplay,
but did control the play in the Tech zone during the overtime. After the
penalties had been killed, the puck ended up in the Wisconsin end. Just
about everyone on the ice change, and Wisconsin goalie Duane Derksen
alertly saw the opportunity. He made a long pass to Dan Plante on the
right side (away from the benches) at the Tech blue line. Plante skated
in, chased by several Tech defensemen and Wisconsin's Jason Francisco.
Plante took a HARD BLAST from the right circle. Ram stopped it with his
stick, and the rebound came out to the hash marks between the circles.
Francisco shot it back at Ram, who stopped it but didn't control. It
bounced chest-high in front of him, bounced on the ice, was slid further
into the crease by Ram and/or a defensemen. Everyone was falling over
trying to get to the puck, now at the left (Ram's right) side of the
goal mouth. The defensemen had by now caught up, and covered the other
Badgers swarming down to the goal mouth, but Francisco had skated around
the net, and tapped in his own (sort-of) rebound. I'm not sure how
Spencer got an assist, when I watch the tape maybe I'll see it...

	--david
--------
david parter					[log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison		computer sciences department