From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 16:09:51 EDT
Chris Wameling writes:
>   Thanks Art, I could not have said it better. There was nothing like
>hearing that bell the night we beat Cornell 2-1 in OT, the first time The
>Big UGLY Red were willing to make the northern loop in a dozen years.
>Ned Harkness could no longer avoid the Golden Knights, but he should have.
>
> [...]
>
>ps: that Cornell game was 1971, back when cornell really had hockey

Far be it from me to disagree with an "old-timer" -- but not very far be it
:-)

I doubt it was quite a "dozen" years between trips up North for Cornell.
Ken Dryden, goaltender for the Big Red from 1966-67 through 1968-69, always
has the same response whenever he is asked what his worst memory of playing
collegiate hockey is:  "That damn bell at Clarkson."  From old schedules, it
looks like he only played there once, in 1966.  The bell must have made
quite an impact :-)

As an opposing fan, all I can say about the whistle is... it's loud... it's
annoying... but it ain't The Bell...
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I still remember sitting in a darkened theater with my arm around 17-year-
 old Mary Jo Rasmussen, trying to get to first base.  I can even remember
 the name of the film:  'The Lion King'."
-- Steve Martin, presenting an award at the Oscars