From:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan G Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 11:23:16 EST
    I assume you meant the 2 linesman, 1 referee system and not the other way
around.   This doesn't affect CCHA teams any, they couldn't have CCHA refs
anyway, but I think that it may damage the WCHA a bit.  There is a distinct
difference in styles between western and eastern hockey, though not as
prounounced as a few years ago.  This difference in styles is reflected in the
way the refs call the games.  I know, as an MSU fan, that I was always happy
to get a WCHA official in the tourney as opposed to, say, an HE official.
   Hopefully, the NC$$ will switch back to the one ref system, giving the
linesmen power to call penalties behind the play, as the CCHA has done.  I
supported the two-ref system for years thinking it would cut down on the
missed calls that happened when the ref had his head turned.  All we got,
however, were two different referees calling two different games and
screwing everyone up.  I think the CCHA has found a good middle ground
by giving the linesmen behind-the-play powers.  The referee can still control
the game calling it consistently, (Ideally, we all know reality often
differs here.) and still cut down on missed calls.
                                        --Steve Moerland
                                          MSU '92, UK '95
>This is correct...

>At the beginning of the year, the NCAA said that any officials not using the 2
>Referee, One linesman system throughout the year would not be eligible to
officiate the NCAA tournament games, thus we will see alot of Eastern Officials