From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:52:15 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Andy Dursin
<[log in to unmask]> says:

 NOTE: Even though I am a BC student and a lifelong PC fan, I think thatI
>can objectively look at this since it's been almost 48 hours since the
>conclusion of the game (or at least I hope so!).

>1. A "too many men on the ice" call with 3 minutes left IN REGULATION on
>Providence, who was trailing 3-2 at the time. The call came when PC was
takinga
>line change--the kind of call that could be made on virtually ANY team at ANY
>given point when they take a line change, IF the ref was actually looking for
>it. But in a championship game, with THREE MINUTES LEFT????? Give me a break!

Bad officiating? I disagree. It should not matter what game it is or when
a violation occurs. If the call is there, it's there, no ifs, ands, or
buts about it. I umpired a local baseball league's championship a couple
of years ago in which the batter and his coaches decided to take a stroll
after I told them their conference was over. There were two outs, the
bases were loaded and the team was down by one run. After warning them
three times, I directed the pitcher to pitch, resulting in an automatic
strike. I wasn't anywhere near being the most popular guy, but that was
the rule. If you enforce the rules all of the time, nobody will complain.

Ryan Robbins               "Nothing in fine print is ever good news."
University of Maine                                  -- Andy Rooney