From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 23:23:52 -0500
Reed Munson writes:
>I'm sure this topic has been addressed in the past, but I'm interested in
>learning if the instant replay has ever been considered in college hockey.

The first problem I can see is that most games are not on tv.  Is it
fair that teams who have more games on tv should have more
opportunities to contest plays with replay than teams who don't appear
on tv?  In that regard, replay in the NFL made sense because every
game is televised.

Something I could see (but wouldn't necessarily support) would be
replay in conference tournaments or conf final fours, since of late,
all of those games have been televised.  But my general impression is
that most coaches would not favor this anyway.  There are too many
reasons against it, one being that there is no guarantee that tv would
have the proper angle to definitively show whether the goal should
count.  This was a problem in the NFL too.  Should a team requesting a
replay be penalized with a bench minor just because tv didn't have the
proper angle to support their case?