From:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 17:53:28 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Glenn W. Gale"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Clarkson  3-4-4--10
           3 4 3  10
>Brown     1-1-0-- 2
>
>     Dave Seitz tallied 5 assists and Brian Mueller had 2 goals as
>Clarkson convincingly clinched the ECAC regular season title on
>the road.  The game was marked by an incredibly high number of
>penalties (though it wasn't a dirty game, according to the radio
>announcers) called by Harry Ammian.  It was mentioned that Clarkson
>and Brown are #1 and #2 in the ECAC in penalty minutes; in fact,
>going into tonight the top 7 in penalty minutes in the conference
>were exactly the top 7 in the standings.  Clarkson was averaging
>25 minutes a game (which could only have gone up tonight); it's
>remarkable they've done so well this season with so many penalties.

That's odd- I was at the game, and I was amazed at how well Brown did at
staying out of the penalty box.  There didn't seem to be that many,
especially not
counting the double-matching roughing penalties at the end of the first- though
later in the game there was actually a 3 on 3!  But overall it didn't seem
that bad.  Box score, anyone?  Ammian may have called a few close ones but
there
were just as many times when there was a play he let go as when he made an
iffy call.  And the bad calls/non-calls seemed to be fairly split by the
end, though early in the game (when it counted) there were more iffy calls
against Brown- he once called a penalty on a Brown player when the
Clarkson guy closest to him seemed (to me) to have tripped on his own
accord....  Personally, I don't mind seeing a ref call a lot of penalties-
I think they let a lot of players get away with a lot.

Brown has an annoying tendency to simply give up on a game when they fall
behind, or when they don't catch a break.  Except for the goalies, they
played very evenly for the entire game for the first period and a half,
and toward the very end.  Parsons had the worst game I've ever seen him
play (actually, the worst half-game); he let in three very soft shots
before he was taken out with the score 6-1.  Murphy had a fine game, but
he also got all the breaks; rebounds were just barely out of reach of
Brown players, an almost-goal was waived off because a Brown player fell
or was pushed on top of Murphy, and there were more near-misses than I've
seen in a long time.  Brown had numerous scoring opportunities in the
first period (15 shots) but could only get the puck in the net once,
whereas Clarkson scored one good goal and two soft goals that Parsons
should have stopped.  When the score was 6-1, it should have been
something like 3-2 if breaks had balanced out and if Parsons hadn't been
asleep at the wheel.  After that, Brown just kind of went through the
motions, except for a small spurt of enery when they scored the second
goal, and for the last five minutes or so when they put a lot of pressure
on Murphy but came away with a lot of
near-misses again, including at least one that hit the post.

Brown really needs to work on the defense.  Gaudet's strategy seems to be
to get an early lead and then sit on it.  But if they fall behind fast,
they can't catch up, and may give up- this game and the 8-1 (?) loss at
Colgate are perfect examples (This, BTW, is why the CHODR has Brown so
low).  I can't remember the last time Brown has come from behind to win.
A lot of goals I've seen them
give up were because the defense was out of position.

--

- Andrew Brecher ([log in to unmask])  <insert disclaimer here>