Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 14:28:17 EST

> I understand that for the Hockey East playoffs UNH can not find
> ice in New Hampshire.  <snip!>

The problem isn't finding ice in New Hampshire.  The problem is finding ice
they *like* in New Hampshire.  I think all the UNH fans will agree that we've
been lucky to even have the use of JFK as a "home" this season.  We all agree
that JFK isn't Snively Arena, but UNH could have been totally on the road this
season.  JFK isn't perfect, but we were lucky to have it.  I have heard that
UNH initially wanted to play all its games at the Cumberland Country Civic
Center in Portland, Maine, but the rental cost of the facility put an entire
home season out of reach.  Thus, the four games in Portland and Nine in
Manchester (Which many of you may not realize is the actual center of the
universe!).

I will be the first one to tell you that I would not have picked Conte Forum
as "home" for the playoffs.  UNH has, at best, struggled in past matchups at
the forum and the BC-UNH HE Quarterfinal Tilt still wakes me up at night.  It
should be interesting, though, especially if UNH meets BC.  What a break for
the Eagles.  Actaully, it's a break for anyone--Neutral Ice in the opening
round.  But it's a break for UNH as well, and an excellent opportunity to
escape the confines of JFK.  To give you a better idea of just how tight the
Neutral Zone is at JFK, I don't think there's more than 2 or 3 feet between
the face-off circle and the blue lines.  And I haven't measured it, but I'd
put the number closer to 2 feet than 3.  It certainly brings a whole new
meaning to "fast transition."  And the one thing that has stuck in my mind
this season from JFK is the comment of one UMass-Amherst goalie just prior to
taking the ice.  (Surveying the surroundings), "It doesn't get any better than
this....."

If he was talking about College Hockey, he was right on the money.

 Howard M. Quimby - D/471  NAS Structures     _/  _/     [log in to unmask]
 General Dynamics, Electric Boat Division    _/_ _/        [log in to unmask]
 75 Eastern Point Road, Groton, CT  06340   _/  _/           (203) 433-3465