From:
Norton Giles Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norton Giles Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 11:05:40 -0700
Dave--and other recipients,
I think it is inevitable that there will be a certain amount of criticsm
of officials, but I agree it is a line that we should be careful not to
cross.  I have taken my son to many IHL games this season at Denver
and it has been a delight to me how LITTLE criticism of the officials
there is, how FEW tedious fights there are, and how MUCH great hockey
there is being played.  As a father, a fan, and an athlete (of sorts) I
would rather watch skilful play than mindless thuggery (and I mean
mindless thuggery not the sometimes brutal physical contact which is part
and parcel of the sport) and I respect the officials that make it
possible for skilful play to happen.

Incidentally, I have worked a fair bit ofr ESPH over the last year and I
am personally amazed at how accurate so many marginal calls are.  Sitting
in the production truck and watching disputed calls in super slo-mo I
have gained a tremendous trespect for officials who must make calls in
the blink of an eye.  Sure, sometimes they're wrong, and sometimes
they're wrong at crucial times, but for the most part these guys are good
at their jobs.

Whatever, just my 2cents...

Giles.