From:
James Endress <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Endress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 1995 11:44:22 -0500
On Sat, 4 Feb 1995, Eric Rickin wrote:

> Michigan fans fginally got their gift: Shegos at ref.  But, he seemed to
> have a might quick whistle.  Not only did he call off a goal (I didn't
> even hear the whistle blow), but it seemed that all night he was blowing
> the whistle before someone actually touched the puck for a penality, etc.
> etc.  He seemed to be anticipating the play.
>
> At one point, he was right in front of renfrew who made a good save on a
> michigan shot.  But, he didn't have control of the puck.  Shegos blew the
> whistle as soon as the puck his renfrew, but of course there was a
> rebound.
>
> Do other CCHA refs do this?  How baout college hockey refs?  I know they
> want a quick whistle to protect the goali=es, but in some cases (about
> 3-5 times this year) it'sf been a bit too quick.
>

> ---
> Eric Rickin ([log in to unmask])
> University of Michigan Class of (December) 1995
>
> finger -l [log in to unmask] for PGP Public Key
> Homepage: http://www.umich.edu/~erickin

One thing to consider; this was Mark Shegos, the brother of the more
emperienced Matt "5-on-3 because I'm short" Shegos.  I indeed thought he
had several quick whistles, which my be a sign of nerves because he
hasn't done as many games as some of the other refs.  Nevertheless, I
thought he did a real good job, overall.

James