From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 08:05:00 EST
Ralph Baer writes...
>There was considerable discussion yesterday about comparing the merits
>of various college hockey teams including the Cornell teams from around
>1970, the RPI team from 1985 and Maine's from two years ago.  I was
>wondering if anyone knows any details about how good the Michigan teams
>of the late 40's and early 50's that won I think five NC$$
>championships in a row and made the tournament about eight years in
>a row?  (I am sorry that I don't have the exact numbers handy.)  I am
>pretty certain that they were not as good as the more recent teams, due
>to the general improvement in talent and quality of play, but they
>certainly did dominate their competition.

From the Michigan Media Guide:

  1947-48 20-2-1 NCAA champions
  1948-49 20-2-3
  1949-50 23-4-0
  1950-51 22-4-1 NCAA champions
  1951-52 22-4-0 NCAA champions
  1952-53 17-7-0 NCAA champions
  1953-54 15-6-2
  1954-55 18-5-1 NCAA champions
  1955-56 20-2-1 NCAA champions

  Total (9 seasons): 177-36-9 (.818)

Michigan's other national championship season was
1963-64 (24-4-1).

John H
U Mich