From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 16:45:12 -0400
This was Cornell hockey as it should be.

Apparently the weekend's anniversary celebration was quite the morale
booster for the Big Red.  It's been years since I've seen this team enjoy
playing the game of hockey so much, and it showed on the scoreboard.
Seeing Cornell play the quality of hockey I knew they were capable of was
very satisfying.  They dominated St. Lawrence, and although they only tied
Clarkson, it was an incredibly intense game which brought back memories of
many playoff games between the two teams.  Cornell and Clarkson are very
evenly matched most years, and it is the rivalry which I enjoy most, partly
because the games are intense, partly because of the high quality of
hockey, partly because Clarkson's fans are as dedicated as the Lynah
Faithful, but mostly because Cornell ends up winning those close games,
especially when it counts the most.

It counted the most in the 1970 national championship game, as Arthur
reminded the crowd at Lynah during the award ceremony Saturday night (this
brought the expected cheering from the Faithful, and kept the small section
dressed in green rather subdued).

Hopefully a certain someone was not too busy with his own celebrating to
notice what a difference a morale boost can make to a team.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!