From:
Norton Giles Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norton Giles Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 1995 10:10:44 -0700
Former Maine players in the minors...

As a grad student at Maine last year I taught the Ferraro twins (now with
Atlanta) and Mike Latendresse. I spoke with the Ferraro's after the
Atlanta Knights/Grizzlies game and they had no regrets about their
decision to make the move to minor league hockey before the end of their
college career.  They both were happy to be where they were and they both
played well--even though Atlanta lost.

However, I feel that the NCAA probably really did Mike Latendresse a
disservice in ruling him ineligible this season--academically at least.
he worked his butt off in my classes so that he could keep playing
college hockey.  I don't know the exact details of the ineligibility
ruling, but I do know that hockey provided the means and the drive to
enable him to further his education.  I may be naive, but I always
thought that one of the NCAA's goals was to maintain the importance of
academics.  Well, they managed to drive Latendresse out of school--nice
job guys.

Incidentally, I also had Jeff Tory in my class and I wish someone from
the NCAA could have sat in and seen the effect that their ruling had on
him last year.  He was, however, a class act and he deserves all the
success he is getting this year on the ice.  If anyone in Maine sees him,
please send him my best regards.

Similarly, if anyone in Toledo talks to Laten, tell him I said "Hi."

Now teaching football players in Colorado--give me a skater anyday...

Giles.