From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 22:26:33 MST
Since I wasn't able to make the trip down to Colorado Springs to watch CC's
home game tonight (hopefully I'll get down tomorrow afternoon), I had to
settle for watching DU get clobbered by St. Cloud 8-2 on tv.

Scoring

First period
1. SCSU, Rodak (Klosnik, Hultgren) 2:30
2. SCSU, Markstrom (Lund, Hultgren) 5:22
3. SCSU, Gagnon (Lievers) ppg 7:10
4. DU, Gunther (Andersson, Kenady) ppg 10:51
5. SCSU, Gasseau (Lund, Santerre) 11:11
6. SCSU, Lund (Hultgren, Gasseau) 14:02

Second period
7. SCSU, Gasseau (didn't catch the assists) 7:51
8. DU, Dairon (Gunther) 11:00
9. SCSU, Melson (Markstrom) 13:53
10. SCSU, Lievers (Hultgren) 17:21

Third period
no scoring

Denver was having defensive problems, partly due to so many injuries, and St.
Cloud totally outhustled them, getting to the puck more often and putting
a lot more effort into the game.  On the first goal, Rodak took advantage of
the fact that this was Host's first time playing in the defense position for
the Pioneers and beat him to the goal.  The second St. Cloud goal was
controversial, as the puck bounced back out of the net, and Mullin didn't
think it went in at all, but both the goal judge and the referee ruled it a
goal.  On the replays they showed, you couldn't really tell if it actually
crossed the line or not.  On the third goal, Gagnon shot it from the side
of the net into the upper corner.  Denver finally got on the board when
Gunther one-timed a shot to get a power-play goal.  Gasseau regained the
3-goal lead 20 seconds later, however.  When Lund scored goal #5, Mullin
was caught out of the net and the puck went right past him.  At this point,
Denver switched to Wallinheimo for the rest of the period.  He seems to like
to exagerate things at times, as he was hit in the face with a stick, nothing
too serious, but he about threw himself backwards onto the ice like he had
been hit hard.
  The second period started with Mullin back in the net for DU.  Gasseau
scored his second goal of the night by sweeping a rebound underneath Mullin.
Denver got its second goal right at the end of a penalty kill, as Dairon
put the puck upstairs on Leitza.  St. Cloud's next goal was the result of
a mixup at center ice, leaving only Elders back by the goal.  On the final
goal of the night, DU failed to clear a long rebound and St. Cloud brought
it back for a goal.
  No scoring in the third period, but DU began to get more shots on goal.
At this point Gwozdecky had decided just to go for winning the period, and
even though they didn't get another goal, they were able to fend off St. Cloud
attempts to widen the margin.
  One unusual thing I've noticed in Denver game broadcasts is that during
intermission, they have a camera in the locker room, so part of the coach's
talk is shown.  Is this unique to DU or do other schools also do this during
broadcasts?  I was disappointed that they didn't even give any scores from
around the league at all, as I was hoping to hear the CC-UMD score.  At least
I have Hockey-l to give me reliable info, about the only source for college
hockey that I get when I'm at home. :)

Oh yes, tonight was win 200 for Craig Dahl.

~ Karen Heasley                        ~ "Sometimes I think the surest sign  ~
~ Colorado College '95                 ~  that intelligent life exists else- ~
~ Colorado Springs, CO                 ~  where in the universe is that none ~
~ [log in to unmask]      ~  of it has tried to contact us."    ~
~ [log in to unmask]             ~  - Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes 11/9/94  ~