From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 15:31:13 CST
Headline: U hockey passes test, earns split
Publish Date: 11/21/1994
Matthew Cross
Staff Reporter

The test tubes burned at Mariucci Arena Saturday when the Gophers
hockey team's latest lineup experiment failed to produce results
against Michigan Tech.

But the Gophers' second hypothesis in their quest for chemistry
answered some questions about a season that was quickly going sour.

The Gophers played musical chairs with their forwards this weekend,
changing all four lines at least once between games.

Despite their uncertainty and Saturday's 3-2 overtime loss, the
Gophers stomped the Huskies 6-2 on Sunday.

The victory brought the Gophers out of a three-game winless streak in
which they suffered Jekyl-and-Hyde-like symptoms.

``Hyde'' emerged Saturday as they forgot how to pass, shoot,
forecheck or convert countless chances.

``If you don't get that stuff,'' Gophers coach Doug Woog said, ``you
expect to get more muscle. And we didn't get that either.''

``Jekyl'' finally replaced ``Hyde'' on Sunday. Minnesota remembered
and executed the basics and added muscle to the equation with
excellent forechecking.

The biggest problem area for Michigan Tech was its propensity to
commit fouls.

On Sunday, the Huskies amassed 54 minutes of penalties compared to
Minnesota's 28 and allowed the WCHA's top-ranked power play to have
16 one-man advantages in the series.

The Gophers converted three of their power play opportunities and
shut out the Huskies' 10 power plays.

The most glaring problem for Minnesota this season has been its
inability to score first and score when both teams are at full
strength.

But on Sunday they pounced on the Huskies 4-0. Only one of those
scores came on a power play situation.

``We allowed Minnesota to take over early and we were never able to
get over that,'' Michigan Tech coach Bob Mancini said.

``Maybe it was mental, maybe it was physical. Whatever it was, we
couldn't do it. It just became too much of a hurdle.''

That was the Gophers best start since Oct. 29, when they opened with
three straight power play goals against Wisconsin at the Target
Center.

However, the Gophers are not convinced they have found the answer.

``If the guys would play more consistently it would be simpler to
make the decision,'' Woog said. ``But we're still searching for the
right combination.''

It is certain, however, that Mike Crowley will be part of the right
combination.

The rookie assisted on a goal Saturday and scored twice Sunday, but
he insists he never thought of turning the hat trick.

``If (the shot) is there, I'll shoot,'' said Crowley, who has been
criticized for passing instead of shooting on golden opportunities.
``But two for me is way over the limit.

``There really has been no change in my philosophy. The shots are
just more open.''

Ryan Kraft, also a rookie, added three points on the weekend, and in
his first action of the season, Jay Moser notched two assists on
Sunday.

Brian Bonin continued his dominance this season by scoring the
Gophers' only two goals on Saturday and adding a third Sunday.

Bonin's 10 goals this season leads the WCHA.

Woog has changed gears and is looking forward to this weekend's
nonconference duals with top-ranked Michigan and fourth-ranked
Michigan State.

His uncertainty will continue throughout the week in preparation for
the College Hockey Showcase Nov. 25 to 26 at the Civic Center -- a
pair of games the Gophers will not take lightly.

``Our lineup will stay the same . . . until Monday,'' Woog joked
after Sunday's game.

The Gophers gained much-needed momentum by beating Michigan Tech, but
another chemistry exam awaits the Gophers at the Civic Center this
weekend.

<<<And a second article>>>

Headline: U recuperates with 6-2 victory in finale
Publish Date: 11/21/1994
Brian DeRoy
For The Daily

If it were pro football, Michigan Tech would be Tampa Bay's version
of the WCHA for its long history of losing.

Entering the weekend, the Gophers had won nine of their last 10
games against the Huskies at home. When Michigan Tech comes to town,
a series sweep is expected.

Impressive record aside, the Gophers did not live up to previous
performances. On Saturday, sloppy passes, an inability to convert
chances and a weak forecheck punctuated Minnesota's 3-2 overtime
loss.

Gophers center Brian Bonin was among the frustrated players after the
3-2 overtime loss Saturday. Bonin couldn't believe how the team
failed to get up for a home series after a week of hard practices.

``We practice all week, and that sucks,'' he said. ``The game is the
fun part. We do this all week and we should be able to do it in the
game.''

Bonin said every player was to blame for the unimpressive
performance. ``Our whole defensive effort was lacking,'' he said.

Another negative trend that continued in Saturday's game was getting
the first goal. The Gophers have scored the first goal of the game in
only two of their 10 contests.

Gophers coach Doug Woog had a rare meeting with the players to
discuss technical issues. ``It wasn't a chew-out meeting,'' Woog
said. ``Sometimes we played hard, but we didn't play smart.''

The words written on the locker room board -- ``heart, smart, skate,
pride = team'' -- were clearly on the Gophers' minds before Sunday's
game, however.

The mental attitude was the key of the series and was the major
difference between the two games.

Defenseman Mike Crowley knew the team had to play better on Sunday.
Crowley himself rose to the occasion by notching two goals and
increasing his physical play in Minnesota's 6-2 victory on Sunday.

``(On Saturday) they outplayed us on every end of the rink,'' Crowley
said. ``We knew we had to come out from the get-go and take it to
them. They set the tempo, and we knew we had to be the ones who set
the tempo (Sunday).''

Right wing Jed Fiebelkorn knew what the team needed in the series
finale. Fiebelkorn notched an assist on Bobby Dustin's first goal of
the season, giving the Gophers a two-goal lead in the first period.

``The coaches didn't have to say a whole lot. We knew what we had to
do,'' Fiebelkorn said.

Fiebelkorn couldn't explain why the play was so sloppy and
uninspired on Saturday. ``We try to get up for every game the same
way,'' he said.

Woog said the difference between the two games was the players'
mindset. ``We had to play harder and smarter than we did
(Saturday),'' Woog said. ``We had a few more muscle plays today.''

Michigan Tech coach Bob Mancini said his team's performance was as
much of a factor. Mancini thought his team didn't receive enough
credit for its series-opening victory.

``Here, when we win, it's because they play bad,'' Mancini said.
``When they win, it's because they play well.''

Attitude and muscle played a major part in the Gophers' success
in Sunday's game, when they racked up seven roughing penalties and
increased physical play. Woog did not emphasize the physical style
but knew his players had to rise to the occasion.

``Some of our bigger guys have to be physical,'' he said. ``It's kind
of a mental thing.''

The mental toughness of the Gophers will determine how they perform
in future series, especially those  they are expected to sweep.

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!