From:
the ugly duckling <"AIMS::ODONNELL"@PLH.AF.MIL>
Reply To:
the ugly duckling <"AIMS::ODONNELL"@PLH.AF.MIL>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 1994 10:24:08 -0500
...excerpts from a Boston Globe story from Sun, 30 Oct 94

Game Summary
------------
Clarkson's Marko Tuomainen scored 2 goals, his second on the power
play at 4:07 in the overtime while Jamie O'Leary served a penalty for
too many men on the ice.  Tuomainen caught the near side from 15 feet
out, spoiling a splendid effort from BC goalie Greg Taylor (35 saves).

Recently, seven of the 12 league coaches picked Clarkson to finish
first in the ECAC.  They must know what they are talking about.  The
Knights have four fine skating lines, lots of talent on Defense
(featuring Hobey Baker candidate Brian Mueller) and a solid freshman
goalie in Dan Murphy (20 saves), who has big-time potential.

[BC coach] York was head coach at Clarkson from 1972-79 and was
125-87-3 there before moving to Bowling Green for 15 seasons.

Coaches comments
----------------
Clarkson coach Mark Morris: "That was some game.  I heard BC had
improved, but I never thought by that much.  I'll tell you that's
a gutsy team.  Really gutsy.

"I thought both goalies were exceptional.  Taylor mad more saves,
but my guy was sharp, too.  Both are from British Columbia, and
when I asked my guy who was the best goalie from B.C., he just
said, `I don't know.'  Hey that was a major win for us."

York: "We skated well, played the body well and played hard enough
and well enough to win.  That too many men on the ice is my fault.
I have to do a better job running the bench.

"I'm sorry we lost after such an effort and such great goaltending,
but we lost to one of the best teams in the East, and we can build on
that.  We made a great effort.  I can't ask for more than that."

Scoring summary
---------------
o The only goal in the 1st was scored by BC's Rob Canavan of Hingham,
  MA at 15:09.  Third-line center Jim Krayer of Acton fed captain Jerry
  Buckley of Needham, MA who cut loose with a 20-footer that banked
  off Canavan's left skate past Murphy.

o Clarkson's Tuomainen, the assistant senior captain from Kuopio,
  Finland, tied it at 5:14 of the 2nd when he scored unassisted
  from 15 feet.

o Clarkson went ahead at 10:26 of the 2nd when hustling sophomore Todd
  White scored a shorthanded goal.  White took a long pass from Chris
  Lipsett and sped in on Taylor, gave him a clever deke and scored with
  a 5-foot backhander.

o BC tied it at 14:35 of the 3rd when David Hymovitz of Randolph, MA
  took a feed from Greg Callahan and scored his fourth goal from 15 feet.

---------- end of excerpts

My comments:

o  The final goal was definitely closer than 15 feet. It looked more
   like a 5 footer.

o  Clarkson actually had 2 power plays in OT, which I would guess is
   pretty rare!

o  Clarkson hit the crossbar with about 15 seconds left in regulation.
   The puck bounced nearly straight down.

o  The shorthanded goal by White was a thing of beauty!  By the time
   he finally shot, he had worked the net wide open with a neat little
   move.  Taylor was on the ice and to the left of the goal, and White
   casually flipped it in.

o  When the announcer said there would be a 5-minute OT, but no
   shootout, the (somewhat sparse) crowd booed a little bit.  Does
   this indicate the average fan is in favor of a shootout?

o  All in all, it was a particularly exciting game.  (I may be a tad
   biased.)

Rick O'Donnell
Clarkson '87
Let's Go Tech!!!