From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 15:17:39 -0400
Brian Cavanaugh, coach of Canisius, and I have been discussing
something that is going to be of great concern to all college hockey
fans relatively soon.  With Coach Cavanaugh's permission, I am
forwarding his comments below to both mailing lists.

The subject is the fate of the 13 NC$$ DivII hockey programs after the
1994-95 season.  These programs are: AIC, Alabama-Huntsville,
Assumption, Bemidji State, Bentley, Mankato State, Mercyhurst, New
Hampshire College, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, St Anselm, St Michael's,
and Stonehill.  7 of those 13 are members of the Northeast-10 (DivII
conference that Merrimack is a member of).

Some may recall, the last time the DivII tourney was abolished in
1984, DivII teams were given several options.  At least one of those
options - to drop down to DivIII - will NOT be available this time.
Also, as a result of the first such demolition of DivII ten years ago,
several teams are now in DivI conferences - UAA, UAF, Merrimack.  If
all of the DivII teams declare as DivI Independents next season (not
likely), there would be 21 such Independents.

A related question is whether or not this change will result in a new
fifth DivI conference and/or additional teams scheduling the 20 games
necessary to qualify for the DivI tourney.  There are already a number
of teams officially classified as DivI Indeps (Canisius is one) but
who play mostly DivII-III teams.  If a number of these teams can
organize and schedule the 20 games, it could eventually change the
face of DivI hockey.

This is something to keep an eye on as it develops.  I would be very
interested in hearing what any of the 13 programs have decided to do
for next year.

- mike