From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 1994 13:20:16 -0400
Today's Globe has a section on the two drafts coming up (pituitary ball and
hockey, the most important sport in life).  There's a big article on a New
Hampshire kid named Deron Quint who isn't going to college, so I'll skip it.

They did, however, list (w/ descriptions) the top 9 draft-eligible New
England'ers and where they are listed by Central Scouting.  After that, the
next 15 players are simply listed.  I will only list the ones I know are
college-bound.

{My comments will be in these brackets {} }

(In order)

Jeff Kealty, D, 6-5, 175 lbs., 25th - Born in Boston, with Framingham his
hometown... Spent four years at Catholic Memorial, all of which resulted in the
state title... Plans to play at Boston University next year... Tallied 10 goals
and 22 assists in 25 games at CM last year... Names the Bruins' Ray Bourque as
player he most admires... Coach Bill Hanson says, "Jeff has more potential than
any of the 16 players drafted [out of CM] in the last eight years, including
Ted Donato and Paul Stanton." ...CSB calls him a "good scorer with a strong
shot from the point and a good playmaker from his defensive position."
{Skinny, but amazing ice sense.  He "sees" the ice without even looking.}

Matt Herr, C, 6-1, 180 lbs., 27th - Born in New Jersey, home is in New Windsor,
N.Y. ...Played the last four years at Hotchkiss {N.E. Prep School}, where he
had 47 points (28 goals) in 24 games last year and broke all scoring records...
Plans to attend the University of Michigan next year... Played for the USA
Select 16 teams in Switzerland... An accomplished baseball player, has won
awards for batting and pitching... CSB says he's a strong skater, good on
faceoffs and is an aggressive competitor.
{I am told he is good}

Tom O'Connor, D, 6-2, 190, 43d - Born and lives in Springfield... Played the
last three seasons for the Springfield Olympics of the Eastern Junior Hockey
League while attending Cathedral High... One of Boston College's top recruits
...Coach Gary Dineed says, "Tom has great skating ability, balance and
acceleration for a teen-ager his size."  ...A member of the USA Select 16
national team... Missed most of the 1992-93 season after shoulder surgery...
He was MVP at the 1993 Lawrence Academy-Groton School Christmas tournament...
CSB says he has very good hands combined with an ability to score from the
point and carry the puck out of his own zone.
{I wonder how long he'll stay at BC if they don't produce a scholarship.  The
pay of the pro's may tempt him. *only my thoughts*}

Chris Clark, RW, 6-0, 180, 56th - Born in Manchester, Conn., lives in South
Windsor, Conn. ...Projected to be the second member of the Springfield
Olympics to be selected... Played for the USA Select 17 national team... Racked
up 57 points, including 31 goals, and 185 penalty minutes in 35 games for the
'Pics this season.. Calls Cam Neely his favorite player... Intends to attend
Clarkson after choosing it over Lake Superior State... "His size, toughness
and elevated skill level spell `power forward,'" says Dineen ...CSB calls him
a strong skater who lacks speed, but who can score from in front of the net
with a quick release and strong shot.
{Interesting choice... Clarkson over LSSU...}

Mike Gaffney, D, 6-1, 195, 70th - Born and raised in Worcester... Played for
St. John's of Shrewsbury, where last year he had 25 points... Lists his
favorite hockey memory as "stepping onto the ice for the first time at Boston
Garden." ...Coach Brian Murphy says Gaffney is "a versatile athlete who can
play defense or forward." ...CSB says he can beat a checker with his skating
and stickhandling skills and that he's a good backward skater.
{He will be attending UMass/Amherst}

Chris Drury, C, 5-10, 180, Fairfield Prep, 113th
{Younger brother of Ted, he will be attending BU}

Mike Sylvia, RW, 5-10, 160, Catholic Memorial, 139th
{He will be attending BU}

Doug Nolan, LW, 6-1, 180, Catholic Memorial, 218th
{He was not listed, but I can not believe someone like a Merrimack, Lowell, or
UMass did not jump on him.  Does anyone know? ...Is he going to Prep School or
something?}

Rob Mara, RW, 6-1, 175, Belmont Hill, 246th
{He will be attending Colgate}

Brian Owens, C, 5-11, 195, Belmont Hill, 255th
{He will also be attending Colgate}

Blair Manning, C, 5-10, 165, UMass, 259th

{Again, there are many other players listed who I do not have on my list as
going to div I colleges, so I left them out.}

Well, with the prospects of Kealty, Drury, and Sylvia all getting drafted this
year, combined with the fact that BU's two other incoming freshmen, Noble
(11th round, Chicago) and Kelliher (5th round, Pittsburgh) were drafted last
year, that means that it is very likely that all 5 of BU's incoming freshmen
will have been drafted before they attend BU.

Although this doesn't mean that they're going to be a great class, (see last
year, when, by the end of the season, 2nd round pick Jon Coleman was on the
bench in favor of undrafted Shane Johnson and 3rd round pick Bill Pierce was on
the bench in favor of 9th round pick Mike Grier.  Only 4th rounder, Shawn
Bates, performed at the level anticipated) I'd rather have the NHL draft
calibre talent.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre

PS - As a side note, Michigan's Jason Botterill (LW, 6-3, 205, GP:36, 20-19-39
and 94 Pim) is listed as the 16th best North American NHL prospect.  (They list
the top 26 on a seperate chart.