From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 16:18:40 -0400
This is from p. 52 of the Boston Globe, Thursday, June 16:

all that follows is quoted:

   Bob Hall remembered what it was like a year ago, when his son Todd was ready
to return to BC for his junior year.  Todd had been "one of the most sought-
after defensemen in the country" coming out of Hamden (Conn) High School.  BC
had proudly written that in its hockey media guide when Hall, already a third-
round choice of the NHL's Hartford Whalers, came to the school.

   "He was given a four-year scholarship," said Bob Hall, "and a week or 10
days before he was ready to leave for school, he was told he was not playing
hockey anymore.  We didn't know what to do.  Here it was a week before school,
and we had to find a place for him to go.  We panicked."

   The Halls landed at the University of New Hampshire, but Todd had to sit out
last season because of NCAA transfer requirements.  Bob Hall said he had kept
quiet "because I want to wait until my son is graduated.  But this is not done
with; I am going to pursue this.  BC has not heard the end of this."

   Dean Campanale also felt a panic last September.

   "What happened was that I was supposed to attend BC last September," said
the Braintree resident, who admitted he'd had academic hurdles, "and I thought
everything was set.  At least I had been told that everything was set."

   Far from it.

   "I was told that if I took some summer courses, I'd be all set to play,"
said Campanale.  "And that was pretty pricey, at $800 a course.  Then when I
got there, it was as if they never heard of me."

   Campanale said his father called the admissions office, "and they told my
father they had never even heard of me.  They had no idea who I was.  My father
went to see coach Cedorchuk, and the coach said everything would be fine.  My
father said, `How can you tell me this when the admissions office has no idea
who my son is?'"

   No college for Campanale ("It was so late I couldn't get into any school")
meant a year of playing junior hockey in metropolitan Boston.  Campanale had no
other choice because of the late word.  And when word came this past year that
BC still wanted him, "that a scholarship would be no problem," according to
Campanale's recollection, "I said, `No,' because I didn't know if I could
believe BC's promises anymore."

   Mark Milford already had been at BC for two years.  He was a defenseman who
said he had been promised that he would be a "two-of-four"; that is, he would
receive scholarship aid for two of his four years at BC.

   Last season was bad enough, "since the summer after my freshman year, I was
told by coach Cedorchuk to play forward.  So I played forward all summer.  Then
when I get to BC the next season, he puts me on `D' [defense]."  Still, there
was the prospect of a full athletic scholarship his final two years at Chestnut
Hill.

   And when Milbury took over as coach in late March, "I felt good because I
knew he would be able to bring order to the program."  When Milford talked with
his new coach, "I remember his mentioning that the scholarships were all
screwed up, that he hadn't been able to figure it out yet, that he didn't
really know what the hell was going on."

   Milford soon knew firsthand.  He learned that he would not be getting a
scholarship his final two years on the Heights.  "So I went in to see Chet
Gladchuk," said Milford, "and I asked him, `What's my situation?  I was
promised two of four.'  He said, `We'll see.'  Now I don't know anything,"
except that his scholarship is gone.

   Milbury did not want to talk about the scholarship turmoil, whether he asked
players to give them up, how much of the turmoil he knew about when he took the
BC job or how much of it he was told by Gladchuk.  "I don't want to say
anything," said Milbury.

   Another player also was promised a scholarship by Cedorchuk, according to
the player's father, who wished to remain anonymous.  He said he contacted the
athletic department when he kept receiving tuition bills.

   "I told coach Cedorchuk, `I'm getting these tuition bills for $25,000 when
my son's on scholarship.'  I asked him what I should do.  He told me to ignore
the bills, don't pay them, rip 'em up, that it was all a mistake."

   What finally happened?

   "I ended up paying... retail.  The full $25,000."

   Mike Correia, a highly recruited goalie from Tewksbury who long has dreamed
of playing for BC, said he had been promised a scholarship for next year's
freshman class, but during his senior year at Avon Old Farms, a prep school in
Avon, Conn., he discovered there might be problems.

   "There was a mixup for a while, and I don't know the details," said Correia,
"but by parents talked to Mr. Gladchuk and Mike Milbury and everything came out
fine."

   The situation might not have been resolved if not for the fact that Correia
is friendly with David Gordon, the BC football placekicker who booted the
winning field goal in last fall's upset of No. 1 Notre Dame.  David Gordon is
also the son of Richard Gordon, until recently the owner of the Hartford
Whalers.

   Correia was informed that his athletic scholarship no longer was applicable,
but he would receive need-based aid through the school's financial aid office,
the same aid that is given to regular students.  Originally, instead of a
$25,000 athletic scholarship, Correia was to receive some $6,000 in need-based
aid through the financial aid office.  Clearly, aid that covers roughly one-
quarter the cost of the school year is inferior to what other schools were
offering one of the better goaltending prospects in America.

   John Garnder, the athletic director and hockey coach of Avon Old Farms, said
Correia's situation at BC "was a mess."

   "His last year [at Avon Old Farms], he was promised a full scholarship by
Cedorchuk," siad Gardner.  "Our kids here have dealt with BC over the years and
things always went well.  But Mike's situation is awful."

   Gardner said he understood that Correia signed an early admissions letter to
attend BC.

   "And later he was told that was the wrong form because it didn't meet proper
NCAA requirements," said Gardner.

   "Mike was getting offers from Michigan, UMass-Lowell, Brown, Princeton, and
Dartmouth, but he stuck with BC.  Next thing I know, Cedorchuk is out, Milbury
is in, and the way I understand it, Milbury and Gladchuk said there was no
error and he had no athletic scholarship.  Then Mike was offered $6,000 in
financial aid.  That's a far cry from a $25,000-a-year scholarship."

   Later, said Gardner, Richard Gordon came into the picture.

   "Richard Gordon called Gladchuk and asked about the scholarship," he said,
"and I understand that Gladchuk upped the financial aid part of it to $18,000.
Mike's father, Frank, wanted what was promised at the outset.  I told Frank he
should sue BC.

   "I'll tell you, I've had it with BC.  I believe that when you give your word
on something, you keep it.  BC didn't.  I intend to tell everyone I know what
BC did to Mike.  Mike has gone through hell.  BC has made sports a business.  I
feel a college has to have morals and be honest and follow through.  BC dropped
the ball on this one."

   The scholarship situation was in such turmoil that even Taylor said he was
asked if he might be amenable to giving up his scholarship "to help the cause
and free up some money for other players."

   "Mike [Milbury] mentioned it to me," said Taylor, speaking from his home in
Alberta.  "I was on a full scholarship, and they wanted my scholarship to help
out so money could be given to other players.  I just said, `It's not up to me;
I'm not the one with the money.'  It'd have to be up to my parents.  I guess
Mike knew that my parents might be able to afford to help me."

   As far as he knows, said Taylor, he will keep his athletic scholarship when
he returns to BC next fall.  Taylor also said he had heard of several of the
scholarship snafus when he came to BC from Canada, "and I remember hearing
about Todd Hall.  I asked somebody about it, but they didn't want to talk about
it."

*end of quoted material*

I will try to make the last installment sometime this weekend.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre