From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 00:27:10 EDT
Dave Wang writes:
>now that the ferraro twins have signed with atlanta in the ihl, when will
>the rangers' rights to them expire? it was stated repeatedly how they
>grew up as islander fans. now what are the chances they'll slip through
>the rangers' grasp and wind up playing in nassau?!!

Sorry to say, I think chances of that are slim and none.  When a player
is drafted, that team retains his/her (gotta add that now because of
Rheaume & Whitten :-)) rights for 4 years, I believe.  That would mean
the Rangers keep their rights until June 1996.

Just because they signed with Atlanta in the IHL doesn't mean the
Rangers lose their rights to them...it's like if someone is drafted
and then goes overseas to play.  It's just another league.  I believe
their salaries are being paid by Atlanta, not Tampa Bay, NYR or anyone
else.

Also, supposedly Atlanta is adding an affiliation with the Rangers for
next season.  Don't know if that played a part.  From the AP story
Lynn said he saw, it doesn't sound like it.

Even though their stock has dropped with NYR, supposedly, I doubt the
Rangers would let them go for nothing.  If it does turn out that the
Rangers don't want them, they would likely trade their rights to
someone else.

>any news lately on kariya?

He and the Ducks are still far apart.  The Ducks wanted to offer him
$850,000 a year, but he wants upwards of $2 million.  Kariya seems to
hold all the cards after his outstanding performance in the WC.  THN
reports that negotiations are "not acrimonious" despite the distance
between the two sides.

>so is imes the only olympian returning to umaine?

Yes.

>DENY THE RANGERS!!! don't forget to wear white shirts while watching THE game
>saturday night.

Mine was green (by chance), sorry. :-)  Just by way of comment, part of
me wants to see NYR win, because no player or team deserves to have to
go through that "1940" garbage.
Mike Machnik                                             [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                     *HMM* 11/13/93