From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 1994 22:32:16 -0500
Ralph Slate wrote:
>In article <[log in to unmask]>,
>Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>According to the latest Falcon Club Newsletter, the following NCAA rule
>>change was passed at the 94 convention and will take effect 8/94:
>>
>>*No entity* may sell player/trading cards that bear a student-athlete's
>>name or picture.
>>

>>Sounds like the end to ALL cards....
>

>Wow. The NCAA is really flexing their muscles. I guess this means that
>if I sell the cards I own, they will crush me like the bug that I am.
>But seriously, this rule does not rule out _giving_ cards away, as
>a promotion. I wonder how this will affect card companies like Upper
>Deck, who have included college players (Paul Kariya, Todd Marchant, et al.)
>in their World Junior Championship subsets.

How could it affect Upper Deck or anyone else like that? What are they going
to do? Make Upper Deck forfeit its entire year and give the points to
Providence? :-) :-)

Really, as long as they are done in accordance with agreements with national
teams, I can't see a problem with it. It's not as if the NC$$ has jurisdiction
over USA Hockey.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards         Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr. Senators (CJHL, Jr. A)
Poli Sci/Law III                   SHOOTOUTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!