Sender:
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 11:57:54 -0700
Dave made some solid points; that while BU has hit some hard slumps, it's
extremely rare that they get completely slammed, losing two games in a row
-- let alone three, which does happen to the best teams in any sport.

However, I still think it's very curious to see that their "weakest" part
of each season always seems to fall in December-Janary. Going back over the
last couple of years (even into the late 80's, when BU was fairly
mediocre), BU has generally come out to a real strong start. Certainly a
major factor in this is that every year, regardless of how good/fair the
team is supposed to be, both the players and students are revved up for
hockey season.

Also, Chris brought up an excellent point -- Parker doesn't really care
about the season until the Beanpot. Additionally, Parker has repeatedly
stated that he doesn't care about BU's position in the polls; all that
matters is winning that "last game" of the playoffs, be them Hockey East or
NCAA's.

Still, I wonder sometimes how well this train of thought works. Personally,
I think that coaching/teaching consistency is one of the most important
things that can be taught by participation in sports -- on any level.

Think of it this way -- while many players competing in NCAA sports
(especially team sports) do have dreams of going pro, the majority of them
will never make a dime playing their sport. Many will go on to coaching
positions, be athletic trainers and sports medicine doctors, even TV analysts.

In all of those professions however, you can't have hot-and-cold streaks.
In fact, in just about any job, you can't really have cold streaks. "Hot"
periods in a career are naturally welcome, but what happens if a lawyer
goes on a cold streak in court, losing 5 of 6 cases? What happens if a
surgeon begins "losing" patients?

Getting back to BU, Parker, and college hockey -- I can't help but wonder
what might have (or better yet, still would) happen should Parker and his
staff work on developing a strong, consistent season. I think that most
people on this list would agree that in the 90's, BU certainly has had the
*potential* to win more than one championship. But BU has definitely had a
problem with consistency, even in the big games. In 1994, they're killed
9-1 by Lake State in the championship. The next year they storm onto the
ice, overpowering a strong (albeit a bit fatigued) Maine squad. In 1996,
they are embarassed by eventual champion Michigan. It makes one wonder if
the coaches and players often don't look at each game close enough, merely
looking at the "big picture" -- but how could there be a bigger picture
than the championship? Look at 1991, where the team jumped out to a solid
lead over Northern Michigan, only to fall behind and play catchup -- and
eventually lose.

I think most peple on the list would agree that BU definitely had the
*potential* to win more than one championship over the past 6 seasons.
Might this have been different if the team concentrated more on game focus
and consistency?

I think about two "consistent" teams of the 90's, and I think Lake State
and Maine. One team won multiple championships. One won a single championship.

Does it even matter, then? Hmmmm.

Haoli Makahiki Ho!

greenie

"Gee, I thought alligators were in the sewers. I was ready for alligators."
"No aligators. Lobsters. Definitely Lobsters. Definitely."