Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 1994 12:51:23 EDT
Forgive the lack of content concerning college hockey, but I think this
bit of info might be interesting to some of you out there.

With the announcement of the return of AHL hockey to Portland in during the
early months of 1993, followed by the Maine Black Bears winning the NC$$
championship with an incredible 42-1-2 record, then an outstanding season
by the new Portland Pirates (AHL Calder Cup Champs and only 10 home losses
in their inaugural season)hockey's popularity has exploded in the southern
part of the state, especially amongst kids.  Normally, this would be a
good thing.

However, last week the Casco Bay Youth Hockey Association, I believe the
largest organized youth hockey league in Maine, announced that it was
going to have to cap their members this year because of the unexpected
surge in participation.  In 1991, my final year at North Yarmouth Academy,
one of the host schools for the CBYHA, they had around 450 kids in the
program, ranging from about 5-12 years of age.  But with the success of
UMaine in 1992 (31-4, #1 in the nation most of the year with a lot of
exposure), membership jumped to around 550.  Last winter they had 645.
They have announced the cap this year at 675 kids.

The problem is the lack of ice time and arenas in the area.  The only arenas
now available are the NYA Ice Arena and the Portland Ice Arena.  The
Cumberland County Civic Center was used after the Maine Mariners left, but
with the return of an AHL franchise, it is now available on a very limited
basis.  The arenas which can be used are relied upon to help support the
ever-growing high school teams, and have taken priority over youth hockey.
NYA is the host arena for 9 different high school varisty and JV teams and
Junior High teams.  PIA hosts 10 teams, as well as an evening Men's League.

In a recent article in the Portland Press Herald, Bill Hale, president
of the CBYHA acknowledged that "We are killing our future...[because] its
the younger players who are being shut out".  The CBYHA will try to salvage
some of its future by allowing players who were in the program last year
as well as their younger siblings to sign up on September 7, prior to the
regular September 13 sign up date where open spots will be filled by new
kids.

For now, there is no solution.  No town or school is going to undergo the
expense of opening up an indoor ice arena, and the climate along Maine's
coast is not condusive to having an outdoor arena.  So those of us in
southern Maine must now hope that one of the kids not in the "675" is not
another Weinrich or McHugh who would have been good enough if he had only
had a chance.

Out of curiosity, is this happening anywhere else?  I figure that the
Minnesota's, Massachusetts' and Michigan's of the world have enough places
to skate, but with hockey now in Florida and Dallas, and with Gretzky (and
the "Next Gretzky") in California, I wonder if those kids have a chance to
hone their skills, or even play just for the heck of it.

John Forsyth

(Yes, I know Paul hasn't signed with the Ducks, but the
people in Anaheim are already excited about him  :-> )