From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 1994 12:41:31 -0500
     I saw Clarkson's loss to Maine just a little differently than Bri did
in some aspects.  I thought the Knights played quite well for about the
first 13 minutes and the last 13 minutes.  At the beginning of the game,
Clarkson wasn't getting any excellent scoring chances but they were
controlling the play; I think Maine had only one shot on goal in the first
ten minutes (Clarkson had only 5 or 6, but the puck was mostly in Maine's
half of the rink).  Then, the sloppiness and penalties started, and the
Black Bears capitalized on whatever openings they were given, with
Ingraham and Shermerhorn (I think) scoring power play goals.  The third
Maine goal was scored after they charged the net in what looked like a
planned maneuver.  When the puck went in (CU goalie) Currie was on the ice
with a Maine player on top of him.
     Anyhow, Clarkson was pretty awful until the last part of the third
period.  After being unable to get anywhere against the well disciplined
Maine defense all night, the Knights suddenly blasted right through with
a Mueller to Conroy to Tuomainen set up which resulted in an easy goal for
Marko (again on a power play).  Freshman defenseman Adam Wiesel scored his
first goal on another power play when he came in from the point and was
all alone to take a pass from behind the net and make it a one goal game.
An exciting finish followed, but the comback came up short.
     Maine really hustles and is obviously well coached.  They seemed to
win most of the races to the puck, and at times I think they really made
Clarkson look bad.  I noticed that coach Walsh is almost always talking to
his team on the bench, a different style from coach Morris.  Walsh and his
players also seemed to be "working" the refs.  After lengthy complaining
about one penalty against the Black Bears in the third, a Clarkson player
took a Maine player into the boards with no reaction from the referree who
was right there looking at it.  Walsh jumped up onto the boards and started
yelling, and the other ref on the other side of the rink then called a
penalty on Clarkson.
     I agree with Bri that Weinrich played very well, but I can't imagine
how Ingraham could be omitted from any "three star" list.  The guy was in
Clarkson't hair all night, scoring a goal and an assist, and playing what
seemed like about half the game (including power plays and penalty killing).
He also drew at least two penalties against Clarkson players with his
hustle.  What a gadfly.  What a player!
     I was very disappointed with Clarkson's play for much of the game, but
the funny thing is that I believe they still have the talent to win the
ECAC tournament again.  They have offensive guns (most of the time) and if
their young defense matures and makes fewer mistakes, they can be a force.
     Tonight Providence plays at Clarkson and Maine at St. Lawrence.

Thanks,
-Glenn