From:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:24:00 -0400
Chris Heisenger says in part:

> First, it would appear
>from my reading of this that major junior hockey would not be considered a
>"professional league," but I'm not certain on this point.  Second, even if
>major junior hockey is a "professional league," the proposed amendment would
>permit a player to play in such a league for a one-year period after
>graduating from high school, without losing NCAA eligibility.  Thus, in most
>cases a player could play major junior hockey until the age 19 without
>jeopardizing their NCAA status.  (The proposal would cause players who play
>any years beyond this one-year window to lose their freshman year of
>eligibility).

This is indeed an interesting development and might be good for college
hockey by opening the door for some Major Junior players to play college
hockey.  However, it does have a down side.  Some players now playing
Junior A to preserve their eligibility would be inclined to play Major
Junior and this may be bad for Junior A which is an important source for
college hockey players.  I am also curious about the reference to age 19.
Currently the Junior A players can play until their 21st birthday with no
loss of NCAA eligibility.  Would the age 21 limit remain in effect for
Junior A and 19 be in effect for Major Junior?
If the age limit for Junior A was lowered to age 19 this would have a very
significant impact on Junior A and college hockey.

--Steve Rockey

Steven Rockey
Director of the Mathematics Library
420 Malott Hall