From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 20:17:17 -0900
I don't know if it only takes only 5 minutes to do the penalties and I
type pretty well, but I've made the choice to include them in UAF's box
scores.  With just a single game summary to deal with, I feel whatever
extra time it takes is well worth the effort.  There's definitely a lot
you can see in a complete box score that you can't possibly see in just
a scoring summary.

I don't want to do it this year on a regular basis, but I've tried in
the past interspersing game commentary in the complete box score with
penalties.  Even a few notes about what is going on was very
illuminating.  I got some very positive comments about that.  I do write
a few short paragraphs about UAF games to include with the game summary
and audio highlights on the UAF web site but generally don't send them
to either discussion list.  I've only sent the complete game summary
this year.

As far as boxes directly from the games goes, I've been receiving them
from all over the CCHA for the last two years, and I'm not sure there
are more than two schools that use the same format.  Ideally you could
scan them in but given the varying formats and the sometimes poor
quality of the faxes the OCR on them is pretty poor.  I've felt it was
better to just type them in.  Often there are corrections that need to
be made anyway.  Recently I've considered putting the scanned image of
the actual game sheets on our web site until I get to typing them in.
After waiting three hours from the time I received them this weekend to
do them, I may well do that next time.

Eric Carlson