From:
Marty Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 15:15:27 -0500
I was recently told by someone who works in the athletic department that
the University of Minnesota hockey program generates a fairly sizeable
profit.  Keep in mind, however, that the football, hockey, and basketball
programs must fund all of the non-revenue men's sports as well as the
entire women's athletic department.

I think $19.50 for a ticket and $6 to park is ridiculous.  But since there
is currently no pro hockey in this market, the only hockey we have is the
Gophers.  The waiting list for season tickets is very long, with a near
100% renewal rate.  I don't think they are even accepting new applications
to be on the waiting list (I know this was the case last year).

The ticket prices here are a simple study of supply and demand.  Until the
pro expansion franchise in town starts up in a couple of years, people are
willing to shell out whatever the school asks for tickets, and the school
is taking advantage of this.