From:
Tim Mustone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Mustone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:06:04 -0400
Paul Gentile wrote about UML's exhibition win over Concordia:

> The defense was fine in our own zone, but doesn't command the center
> ice play as well as I like. It looks very dangerous at times trying to
> move the puck up the ice. Nicholishen and Tormey did look good inside
> the blue line during power plays. Can't really say too much here
> because I'm not that adept at analyzing the defense.

        The impression I got from the game was that the defense for the
Riverhawks will be hurting for at least the start of the season,
especially in their own zone.
        There were a number of times, at least 4, when the defense tried
to clear the puck or distribute to the forwards and instead, put the put
right on the stick of a Concordia forechecker, all alone, in the slot,
with UML goalie Craig Lindsey soiling his pants.  Luckily, Concordia
either shot wide or Lindsey made the save. (Concordia may have scored 1
off a give-away)  I know it's only exhibition, and it's probably the
first real game situation for the players this year, but c'mon.  It's
something they have to work on.
        Mike Nicholeshen looked shaky bringing the puck up-ice on the
power plays for UML.  He was denied a few times by the forcheckers and
had to retreat back to his zone.  He's a very capable player and just
has to gain some confidence in handling the puck, ala Ed Cambell who
went to the NY Rangers this year.
        None of the freshman (and there are alot of them) really stood
out one way or the other, except for one.  Mario Leblanc.  He definitely
has talent and also isn't afraid to hit. The rest of the freshmen
playing were solid.  Although they didn't make any spectacular plays,
they also didn't make any disasterous mistakes.
        Overall, I'd give them a C+.  They beat a team in exhibition
that they should have beaten.  They looked shaky controlling the puck in
their zone and they are already starting to take stupid penalties (Ryan
Golden and Jarrod Donovan each got 5 minute majors and a game misconduct
for hitting from behind, Donovan started playing at 10 min in second and
got his during his first shift.)
        Lowell will never be able to play a Hockey East team like they
did Friday night and get the same results.

        Tim Mustone
        WJUL Sports