From:
Nathan Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 12:44:28 -0400
My thoughts on the game more or less break down like this:

OSU didn't seem overly rattled even late in the game.  But they got worse
and worse as the game went on, leading to the goon style we started to
see on the ice.  That is the coaching, wheather Markell advocates it or
not.  It may have come out of frustration but they are going to have to
avoid dragging themselves down to that if they are going to improve.

OSU didn't pose a serious challenge all night long, and where the Falcons
played with Toronto like a cat with a toy, they simply plowed along and
dealt with a team they know they have to play four more times, and intend
to sweep.  They didn't get dragged into OSU's rough style of play, they
played through it.  OSU clearly was trying to drag BG into that style of
play, lacking either the experience or skill to play with BGSU toe to
toe.  Aside from scoreing on a silly defensive break down during a our
power play, and another late goal, I really was unimpressed offensively.

Overall, knowing that Toronto was frankly a weak sister among weak
sisters, I am not surprised at the effort we saw Friday.  If BG was
experimenting all night long, seeing what who could do what and how
well.  If
they had come out with all guns blazeing, the score could have wound up
15-0.  We saw the Falcons focus a little more and take on a better team,
which we all knew they were fully able to beat, and to invoke a political
term they "controlled the agenda" all night long.  They ignored OSU's
style of play, and did exactly what they should have: they blew OSU out.
I expect OSU to improve to be sure.  But the Falcons are several steps
ahead of OSU in their development, and frankly even if they were at the
same stage in their development, BGSU has more and better talent, and I'd
expect the Falcons to gel quicker, and still beat OSU.  Again it isn't a
slam to OSU, but simply that BGSU is much farther ahead of OSU, and
likely will stay there for some time to come.  I do however think we have
seen the start of a bona-fide in state rivalry here.  The OSU games are
drawing progressively better at BG.  We had 4,008 at this game, and even
factoring in Homecoming, that is good.  Student turn out has seen a
marked increase over last year, although I think some of these newbies
have yet to tune into what it means to be a BGSU fan, as witnessed by the
cup throwing incident. (the reaction from the rest of section E was
rather harsh and clear, that we didn't approve.  I personally passed our
regrets on to coach Markell, I had ample time to do that since he spent
about half of the time between periods talking to people in the hallway
outside their room)  And frankly I respect the heck out of OSU fans, if
only because they stick with a team that doesn't win day in and day out.

This is something you might have to be there to understand, unless you
have seen something like it when watching your own team, the Falcons knew
what they were about this weekend, and you could see that in their play.
Were they perfect, nope, Ratchuk sold out for a few quick blocks, and
wanted to play offense more than a couple of times, but even then the
team adjusted and overcame each change in the game, and did so on the
fly.  Check after check, OSU tryied to slam BG against the walls,
something I've seen from a number of teams, and you could actually see
it, BG basically ignored it.  Half the time they weren't even looking at
the buckeye checking them, and were already pushing for the puck before
the buck had finished his check.  I am also seeing leadership on the ice,
something lacking last year.

I agree with Paula, Zack Ham-dubbed instantly as Ham I Am, and his style
of play as "Hamming it up"-was great.  Outstanding speed, excellent puck
handleing.  This freshmen class played up to their hype so far this
weekend.  IF they continue to gel and improve, they will be a force to
reckon with this year.

Either way, as early as it is, I don't see anything like I did last year,
that would lead me to think this team is going to have a mid season
slide, or let down.  I think this team will go far and improve much
beyond what they did last year.

NWLB