From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 22:57:06 -0400
Arthur wrote:

> John Short, in his column in the Edmonton Journal yesterday written
> *before* the game had a thought on why the US team has gotten so
> skilled.  The Canadian Junior teams use NHL rules and therefore have the
> "tag up" off side rule which, in Short's opinion (and mine) prevents
> defencemen from learning good puckhandling skills.  Short pointed out
> than an area that the US is arguably superior is in the puck handling
> skills of its defencemen.  This is relevant to college hockey because it
> still has the traditional off side rule.  I think this observation merits
> some thought and discussion.

I found this interesting, not knowing the differences and
personalities of the two newspapers, that the Edmonton Journal had
something so complementary to the U.S., while Dan Barns, a writer
for the Edmonton Sun, wrote in the World Cup of Hockey Magazine
[article: "It's In Our Blood"] of his *slightly* arrogant view of
Canadian Junior Hockey as compared to US colleges:

"The only way that any supposed hockey power is going to get any
better at our game is to keep sending their kids to the place where
hockey is played properly.  You got it - Canada."

One thing I found contradictory to the available evidence was his
comment:  "Let them learn to play for their teammates first, last,
and always."

Considering that the complaint that former US college players scream
about is that the minor leagues, filled with mostly former Junior
players, is every man for himself... no team-work... no camraderie.

Barns said how demanding Canadian Junior fans are... yet a number of
former BU players have complained that, in the minors, the players
don't care if they lose.

Barns slammed the US, saying, "Don't coddle them in cozy university
dormitories and treat then like Greek Gods who can do no wrong.
They'll never learn to handle pressure.  They'll never face the
music when they mess up."

This worldly Edmonton Sun writer arrogantly concludes, "They'll never
play the game the way it should be played, the way Canadians play
it.  And if the price we pay for handing back a better player is a
more challenging International tournament every couple of years, so
be it."

How gracious of him.

This, OF COURSE, was written *before* the whole tourney even began.

This is why the article in the other Edmonton newspaper criticizing
the Canadians was interesting.  I wonder what Barns thinks now?
Obviously, the Journal was write, the Sun is eating crow.

Arthur, any insight into this guy?

Does Barns *try* to outdo Bob Lobel... or does it just come naturally?

Having read that article, it made the win by the US, with 17 former
collegians, soooooo much sweeter.

Tony

PS - I'm not saying Juniors are not an *excellent* way of developing
young players... it's just that it's not the *only* way.

PPS - Even div III college hockey had *TWO* players on team USA -
one of which, Joel Otto, seemed to handle the pressure better than
anyone.  hmph.