From:
Michael Smar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Smar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 11:50:20 CST
** Reply to note from [log in to unmask]         Wed, 18 Sep 1996 01:45:51 +0500

> I think the biggest reasons that the MSU actions seem lax compared to
> Maine are as follows:
>
> 1. MSU launced its own internal investigation and imposed their own
> restrictions. They didn't try to ignore the problem and didn't try to
> hide anything..
>
> 2. Most of the charges stem from the 'Perles Era'. George Perles (Former Coach) and Greg Croxton (Academic Advisor)
> are no longer affiliated with the program. MSU has also gotten a new
> Athletic Advisor and is taking major steps to keep the program in
> compliance.
>
> 3. Many of the original charges from Roosevelt Wagner could not be
> substantiated despite thorough investigations.
>
> While the sanctions may seem weak they are noticable. MSU loses 7
> scholarships next year. In my mind that means it will be hard to draw
> talent like Cedric Irvin to MSU. One bad year of recruiting can make
> or break a team. Official visits to campus are decreased and only a
> limited number of assistant coaches can make recruiting trips.
> Darrin Wassom ~~ Former Head of Rats at the....

Didn't the Spartans have to forfeit some games? I heard about these sanctions on
ESPN a couple of months ago (I assuming we're talking about the same). In the 10
second blurb ESPN did on the sanctions, they mentioned MSU had to forfeit some
games (7 I think).

Part of the problem may also be that the cause of the problem, Perles,
is gone (thank god). Walsh remains at Maine. Maybe if Walsh had been forced out,
the sanctions would have been different.

The other thing we don't know, at least I don't, is how mush obfuscation each
University and athletic department created for the NCAA. Also, wasn't this the
second time for Walsh?

P.S. I'm still waiting for an apology from MSU over the embarrasment this has
caused for us alums. This is the second time this has happened in the last 20
years.

On the banks of the Red Cedar there's a school that's known all,
Their specilaty is farming and those farmers play...HOCKEY!
|   \____________       MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY
 \____________   \    THE Pioneer Land Grant College

Mike Smar ([log in to unmask])