From:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:47:00 EDT
Wayne wrote:

>There isn't one day for everyone.  There is an NCAA first game date and
>first practice date, but other rules come to bear.  For example, the
>Division I/II first practice date last year was September 7th, but I
>don't know that anyone started until weeks later.  Time off from
>competion and practice enter into the picture as does the number of
.weeks until the NCAA Championship.  Anyone care to summarize this year's
>rules wrt practice and playing season?

This is one of those rare instances where the NCAA regs are simple
and very straightforward.  Practices may not begin until either
September 7th or the first day of classes, whichever comes first.
This applies to all divisions (I/II/III); also applies to women's ice
hockey.

I believe (but don't know this for sure) that conferences can set
their own "start practice" dates, and I think the Div. III
conferences do in fact impose later starting dates.

The rest of it is also fairly simple:  student-athletes may practice
no more than 4 hours a day, 20 hours a week (regardless of what date
they actually begin practices).  There must be one day
off each week.  There can be no practices or games after the
conclusion of the NCAA Div. I tournament.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth              [log in to unmask]
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                    (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208         FAX (716) 888-3190