Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:36:51 -0400
  To all fellow hockey-l followers:

  Let me start by saying as a Canadian-born, US college hockey graduate
  from Ferris State in 1994, I had mixed emotions on Saturday. I was
  definitely disappoionted that Canada had lost on Saturday, but happy to
  see the BEST team win.

  In my opinion, Glen Sather did not choose the Canadian team correctly,
  too many old players who thought their presence would win. I commend the
  US team for showing the most heart of any team in the tournament. Now to
  the matters at hand.

  The reason I feel that the fans of Ottawa acted so terrible was due to
  the fact that Canada would much rather play the Russians, knowing we
  could whip'em. I truly feel that the fans knew if the US won, they could
  win the whole thing. And they did.

  The US collegiate hockey program should be "pounding their chests with
  pride". To Canadian born hockey players, a scholarship is one of the
  greatest opportunities that a young man/woman may have. Major Junior
  hockey in Canada is generally for the "star" players at 16 years of age.
  But if you don't develop at 16, what's left?  Thus US college hockey is a
  big dream for MOST Canadian hockey players.

  I want to whole-heartedly congratulate the US team on winning but also
  state that Canada may still be looked to as the greatest hockey country.
  In the same perspective, Canada won the 4x100m relay at the Olympics. Is
  Canada the best sprinting country in the world? No, the US is. Thus, the
  hockey we saw played, and the sprints that were ran showed us that all
  athletes who participated were world class, and anyone could win on any
  given day! I'm not trying to play down the US win, just as I'm not trying
  to play up the Canada win in track.

  Craig Lisko