From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 07:14:07 -0600
John Short, in his column in the Edmonton Journal yesterday written
*before* the game had a thought on why the US team has gotten so
skilled.  The Canadian Junior teams use NHL rules and therefore have the
"tag up" off side rule which, in Short's opinion (and mine) prevents
defencemen from learning good puckhandling skills.  Short pointed out
than an area that the US is arguably superior is in the puck handling
skills of its defencemen.  This is relevant to college hockey because it
still has the traditional off side rule.  I think this observation merits
some thought and discussion.

Another world cup thought:  I was watching PASS yesterday and saw a
program promo that they'll be showing the game tonight at 11:30PM.  If
that is an indication of interest in one of the US hockey hotbeds the US
has a long way to go to match the skill of the nation's best players with
the level of involvement of the people who are watching (or not watching
as is more usually the case).  The CBC expected (and I'm sure got) huge
ratings for this game.  It was given the Stanley Cup treatment complete
with locker room shots post game.  Believe me, Canadians thought this was
an important series with meaningful bragging rights going to the victor.

This disappointed Canadian can take comfort in the strong BU presence in
the US national team including key goal scorer Tony Amonte.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!!  GO ICE!!!