From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:28:21 -0400
On 26 Aug 96 at 11:02, Ryan Robbins wrote:

> According to the Portland Press Herald, Maine's post-season ban
> includes the Hockey East tournament.

After our discussion at the end of the week I talked with Sue Tyler
to clarify some things.

Apparently the "exemptions" we were discussing is indeed the force
behind the "No HE Tourny".  Apparently Maine is not allowed to use
any of their exemptions, and if their appeal fails they will likely
make some schedule changes because of that.

> As for the TV ban, Maine is set to enter its final year of a
> contract with the Maine Broadcasting System. Maine can ask the
> NCAA to suspend the TV ban for this season because of the
> contract. At last report, the Bangor Daily News said no decision had
> been made yet by UMaine officials or MBS officials.

MBS officials have been very amiable I've heard with regards to this,
but Maine has accepted the TV ban for next season according to Tyler.
 I'm sure MBS and Maine have worked out something, it would be
foolish for either party to put off the TV ban.

> in the HE tournament, this is moot. Now about regular season
> NESN games...

When Maine's penalties were announced NESN had not made their
schedule for the upcoming season.  I don't see why it would be a
problem for NESN to just not schedule any Maine games.  I heard a
NESN official say he was sorry they wouldn't get to Orono and seemed
to give the impression that they are not going to cover Maine.

I hope they don't, no sense to complicate things any more than they
already are!  :-)
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine