From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:23:52 -0400
I just wanted to take a few moments and address a few issues around
the Maine situation that I can shed some light on.

First, according to Suzanne Tyler, UMaine Athletic Director, the NCAA
has included the Hockey East Tournament in their postseason ban.  I
know this is somewhat unique, and some people here don't seem to
believe me, but I assure you Sue Tyler isn't going to publically say
"No HEA Tournament" if it's not in fact true, and if she's not 100%
convinced it's true.

Where this stems from is something Mike, I believe, mentioned and
that is the NCAA banning Maine from using "exemptions" next season.
I will not theorize as to what that exactly means, but it does apply
to the postseason conference tournaments and thus Maine will not
participate in this year's HEA.  Maybe.

Maine has appealed their postseason sanctions, as we know and that
includes the postseason TV ban as well.  Maine has accepted the TV
ban for the regular season, regardless of whether or not their
post-season ban is lifted.  Maine's TV status for the postseason will
be discussed in Kansas City when the appeal is heard.  Since NESN
broadcasts the HEA tournament, and ESPN the championship weekend, and
both have binding contracts, and sole rights to cover those games
it's fair to suggest that should Maine's appeal be successful they
will bring those situations up.  The NCAA is not going to ban NESN or
ESPN from covering such large games should Maine be involved, so I
doubt there will be much of an issue.  I don't see a NESN camera crew
up in Orono or a HEA Quarterfinal game however.

Finally, if Maine does win their appeal I also think Hockey East will
have a hard time keeping Maine out of their tournament.  They let
Lowell in while they were on a post-season ban, and had the chance to
keep Maine out last year and chose not to.  Should Maine win their
appeal, Hockey East really has dug themselves a hole with Maine
effectively in the clear at that point.

The key is that Maine must win their appeal.  As it stands now the
facts are simple, no HEA's, no NCAA's, no TV.  There is no way to tell
how successful Maine's appeal will be, but as we stand now those are
the facts.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine