From:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 11:17:48 -0500
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Rich Selin wrote:

> > I heard a rumor on Tuesday that Minnesota Assistant Coach Mike Guentzel
> > has withdrew his name from the list of 4 finalists. Can anyone tell me if
> > this is correct.  If so that leaves the finalist to 3, Frank Serratore
> > (former Denver coach), Mike Kemp (long time UW assistant) and Greg
> > Drechal (current Denver assistant, and former Miami-Ohio and Clarkson
> > assistant).  I also heard that the coach will be named by the end of this
> > week.   I want to know if someone can confirm these rumors?
>
> It was in this mornings Wisconsin State Journal.  It says 'Guentzel
> said Monday he will remain as an assistant coach at the University of
> Minnesota in hopes that some day he could be head coach there.'
>
> It goes on to say that Serratore was a former Omaha Lancers coach and Kemp
> was in Omaha to interview Tuesday and all three were to complete interviews
> with the search committee by today.  Guentzel was a Lancers coach at one
> time also.  Athletic director Don Leahy said a coach could be named as early
> as Thursday for the new NCAA Division I program that will start for the
> 1997-98 season.

This morning's Minneapolis Star-Tribune (6/26) also had an article
concerning this. It said that Guentzel had removed himself, as we have
heard here and elsewhere.

The article also reported that with the departure of Guentzel, Serratore
was believed to be the top candidate, being the only one of the applicants
with head coaching experience.

The text of the article can be found at:
http://www.startribune.com/cgi-bin/article/rootEval.cgi?currentStory=10017028

using the NEW on-line version of the Star Tribune.

An artcle about first-round NHL pick and current Gopher Erik Rasmussen
can be located at:
http://www.startribune.com/cgi-bin/article/rootEval.cgi?currentStory=10014883

                                -Lee-nerd

"It is not written in the stars that I will always understand what is
going on - a truism that I often find damnably annoying."
                                -Robert Heinlein