From:
Nathan Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 19:07:14 -0400

> I dunno about Colgate being strong, at least outside of the ECAC.  The Red
> Raiders look like they'll be hit pretty hard by graduation, losing top scorers
> Earl Cronan and Chris DeProfio and three solid defensemen in Brad Dexter, Matt
> Garzone, and Rod Pamenter.  Colgate will have to hope their recruits will be
> ready to "step in and contribute".  As for Bowling Green, I'd guess they will
> be quite good this season, though whether it will be enough to move up in the
> CCHA standings remains to be seen...

I was working the number, which as a history major I hate, but our team
breaks down like this:

8 Seniors with 1 goalie, three Ds, 1 C/RW, 2 RWs, and 1 LW
4 Juniors with 1 D, 1 C/W, 1 LW/C, and 1 RW
5 Soph. with 1 D, 2 RWs, and 2 Gs
6  Frosh with 3 Ds, 1 "F", 1 LW, and 1 C.
add to that 2 walk on RWs

I like the seniors, they should form a solid foundation.  The Jr. class
is also impressive offensively.

The soph. class will come into its own I think.  They were low key
from my point of view.  If Savard improves his consistency, and
eliminates some dumb goals, he could displace Petrie.

I'm really gung-ho about the frosh.  They are big, and may be the best in
years.  If nothing else having a couple of Toledo products might bring
some more attention from the media from that lesser city north of BG.

> >  Also, I
> >can't help but feel like there's some potential animosity for Cornell
> >nudging BG out of tournament contention.
>
> Well, this isn't Cornell's fault -- the Big Red did what they had to do to make
> the NCAAs (as it developed, that required them to win their conference tourney),
> and BG didn't.  Though it will probably serve as extra incentive for the
> Falcons this year knowing that they've been the unlucky #13 in the NCAA tour-
> nament selection process two years in a row.  Just look what Colorado College
> has done since they got snubbed back in '94.

> Bill Fenwick
> Cornell '86 and '95
> LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94

I really haven't seen any harsh feelings directed towards Cornell or
Vermont.  I don't feel any to be sure.  Most of us I think respect what
those teams did.  Nobody feels snubbed, they did what they had to do to
get in.  We needed to do more to secure our spot ahead of a couple of
teams.  Our hopes were high this season, but that optimistic look was in
the context of a program still rebuilding.  Talk of an NCAA bid really
didn't start to materialize till late in the year when, after the mid
season slide, people began to realize that despite stumbling, we were
still good enough to get in.  That we didn't was a let down, but few see
the team allowing it to happen again.  There were a lot of firsts for
this team.  They beat Mich. for the first time in their careers, they
beat MSU at MSU for the first time in their careers, they played as a
team that was EXPECTED to win, they faced a team the caliber of LSSU in
its full playoff mode.  Something they did not face against MSU last
year.  Though they did not make it, they learned what it felt like to
taste the NCAAs withing reach.  My hope was that they would make it. not
because I thought they'd get past the first round, but simply because I
felt that would give them the experience that would let them go much
farther next year.  The expectations for next year will be even higher
than this year.  We will expect to beat Mich not just compete with them,
to sweep MSU and WMU, to be able to simply put the lower echelon teams away,
and to make it to the NCAAs regardless of automatic bids.  Attitude wise
things are so very different now than in Jerry Yorks last couple of
years.  We respect Jerry York and hold him in high regard, but the jolt
Buddy has given the program has got people feeling very good about the
near and long term future of BG hockey.

As for the BG-Cornell series.

BG has never played Cornell in a non-tournament game.
12/30/77 BG-3  CU-5     Cornell Holiday Festival Championship
12/29/83 BG-6  CU-4     Key Bank Tournament Semifinal
12/28/88 BG-3  CU-2     Syracuse Invitational Tournament
12/29/92 BG 8  CU-7 (OT) Cleveland College Hockey Classic

Nathan W.L. Boyle
BGSU