From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 06:59:37 -0500
Indy Rutks posted:

<<I saw the movie "Fargo" today, and was pleased to see a few shots of
college hockey. One character is watching TV, and when asked what he is
watching, replies "GO-phers" in that stereotypical northern (Iron Range)
Minnesota accent which pervades the movie. We then see the TV screen, and
we catch a glimpse of Robb Stauber in action (the movie is set in 1987).
I'm not positive, but I think I heard Frank Mazzocco's voice doing the
play-by-play, as well.>>

For additional (although disguised) college hockey content in film, check out
the recent Van Damme film SUDDEN DEATH. Through a complicated chain of events,
JCVD's ex-goalie character finds himself in net for the Penguins during Game 7
of the Cup finals, where he then faces ex-BUer Tony Amonte on an overtime
breakaway. Anyone familiar with the 1991 BU-NMU final should know what happens
next.

The entire Penguin and Blackhawk rosters get screen credit, although the
only speaking player is Luc Robitaille. But listed as hockey consultant is
none other than MSU's Dee Rizzo.

It's a definite renter, if only for the battle to the death between
Van Damme and the Pens mascot.

--
Greg Sorenson