From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 12:12:52 -0600
Mark Sonnier wrote:
>I, for one, however am more than a little confused.  Just a couple of days
>ago, everyone was talking about Maine's Greg Cronin.  In fact, the Anchorage
>Daily News devoted an entire article to him on Wednesday morning, allegedly
>the first of three such features on each finalist to run through Friday's
>edition.  They never got to the other two, as Talafous' hiring was announced
>to the local media late Wednesday afternoon.
{snip}
>But that's not quite the end.  In a final dose of irony to this sordid tale,
>Cronin and fellow finalist John Harrington of St. John's (MN) figured out
>their joint predicament Tuesday evening at the Anchorage International
>Airport.  It seems that all three finalists were scheduled to depart
>together on the same flight.  When Talafous didn't show in the departure
>area, the two men figured out what had happened.  Now is that courtesy or what?

Well, maybe you're reading a little too much into that Anchorage Daily News
article.  Sounds like UAA announced the decision even sooner than THEY
expected to, not to mention sooner than the ADN expected.  From the blurbs
I'd read in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, I gathered the word around Minn was
that Talafous was the leading candidate.  (Granted, Cronin has no Minn
connection, so he wouldn't get much mention in the SPPP, but Talafous was
getting much more ink than Harrington.)  And Talafous certainly should have
much more current info on the USHL recruiting pool, coming from UWRF.

Pam Sweeney
Congratulations Brian "Hobey" Bonin!!!
Go Gophers!!!
Ski-U-Mah!!!