From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 17:01:54 EDT
Mike writes:
>>The two division winners each receive a bye in the first round...but that same
>>weekend, they meet each other in a winner-take-all game for the MacNaughton
>>Cup.
>
>I'm not sure this would be acceptable under NCAA rules, because as the
>rules read, among the games exempted from the 34 game limit are games
>played in conference tournaments, and this would seem to be a game
>that isn't part of the tournament.  Thus it would have to count and
>would push the teams over the limit, unless they scheduled only 33
>non-exempt games in advance.

Or maybe they could play the game in Alaska :-)

Not that college football should be considered as a model for anything, but
there is sort of a precedent in that sport.  For a number of years, the rules
have allowed a conference, if it is split into two divisions, to hold a title
game between the division winners without that game counting against the
limit.  It wasn't until a few years ago, when the SEC expanded and formed two
divisions, that anyone bothered to take advantage of that rule, but it's been
around for a while.  I gather hockey does not have a similar exemption.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I thought I was a procrastinator 'til I met Winnie... Winnie got a birthmark
 when he was eight."
-- Steven Wright