From:
David B Reusch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David B Reusch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 14:26:24 -0500
Sara M. Fagan wrote:

> ( I even enjoy remembering the consolation game between Minnesota and Maine.
> There were long stoppages in play for sorting out penalties and the goalies
> (Stauber and ?) tried to pass the puck between themselves to pass the time.
> The officials took the puck away.  Was this the last consolation game in the
> NCAAs?)

The Maine goalie would have been Al Loring.  That was my first trip to the Final
Four and, in some ways, still the best, at least for location.  (Obviously 1993
was *the* best, but other years had good points.)  My friend and I were up in the
balcony for three of the four games (we originally had good seats in a corner, but
the louts behind us didn't like us standing up when Maine scored).  I remember very
little else from the consolation game except the goalies killing time while all those
penalties were sorted out (that game still holds lots of records for penalties and
penalty minutes in the tourney).  And just where did all those pucks come from
anyway?  Was there someone collaborating in the scorer's area?  (Just kidding.)

This was the next to last consolation game.  Maine lost to Michigan State the
following year, and it wasn't real close.

Dave Reusch
UMaine '86, UNH '95G