From:
Nathan Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 13:54:18 -0500
Last season during the last home game at the BGSU Ice Arena.

We were playing Notre Dame in the second game of the best out of three
preliminary round of the CCHA tourney.  We were ahead, and the game was
in it's last couple of minutes.  The puck was stopped by ND, and play came
to a stop.  An Irish player took the chance grab Brian Holzinger who
was on his way to winning last years Hobey Baker award.  The goon forced
Holzinger to the ice and had him in a tight head lock.  It was far from
the first cheap shot they had taken at him during that and the previous
game.

 The Refs pried the goon off of "Zinger" and immediately sent him
off the ice.  The Ref talked to Zinger and then escorted him off the ice
as well.  It was clear to everyone that the Irish were gunning for him
the entire game, and the last incident was a blatant attack, the refs
sent him off the ice for the last minute basically for his own safety.

What is memorable though is Holzinger's exit.  He and the ref skated for the
exit talking to each other, smiling and laughing a bit.  Brain took his
helmet off, and as he took his first step off the ice, he turned back to
look at the crowd, got a real big smile and pumped his first in the air.
Then he stepped off the ice and the crowd went ballistic.

That was the last game he ever played at BG, and for most of us, the last
time we saw him in person at BG.  He went on to play at the Joe, and to
win the Hobey Baker award.  Now he is with the Sabres of the NHL.  That
game gets my vote.

Nathan W.L. Boyle