From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 1996 20:17:36 -0500
A couple notes from today's (1/1/96) St. Paul Pioneer Press column by Gregg
Wong.

Doug Woog might ask WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod for a waiver of the
WCHA's 21-man travel roster limit.  Four Gopher forwards are with the USA
junior team and will be flying from Boston to rejoin the Gophers in Denver
this weekend.  Since the players, who haven't been home since Dec 13, will
have played 7 games in 10 days, Woog would like to be able to give each of
the players one game off this weekend.

"It's unprecedented having four players from one team on the junior team,"
Woog said.  "If it's just one or two players, it's not as much of a problem.
But four of our top nine forwards is a lot."

Woog has not yet made a formal request, but has informally mentioned the
matter to McLeod, who thinks DU coach Gwozdecky might protest.

Freshman wing Mike Anderson, who injured his shoulder against Harvard
Friday, should be able to play this weekend in Denver.

Junior wing Nick Checco may have to undergo thumb surgery.  If so, there's a
chance he might be able to play with a cast.

{End material from Pioneer Press, Begin Pam's comment.}

I can see the travel-roster limit matter either way.  Obviously, a rule is a
rule, and you're in a bad position any time you're requesting an exception.
However, I don't think it's an unreasonable request on Woog's part,
particularly given the fact that it's just a WCHA rule (meant as a
money-saver, I believe) and it's not unheard-of to make exceptions to
certain rules for national-team competition.
-Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!