From:
Margie Rennett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 17:26:07 -0700
Incredible as it may seem, the July 28th edition of the Los Angeles Times
ran a feature story on Chris Drury of Boston University on page 2 (and
there was even a picture!!!).  If you remember back to the Times'
coverage of the NCAA finals, they only ran a one sentence item under
miscellany saying that BU had won the national championship.  Meanwhile,
as Hockey-l'er John Whelan pointed out, the Times had awarded Boston
College the national championship on its Day in Sports page on the same day.

"Drury Weighs In Big Time as Hockey Star" by Times staff writer Ara
Najarian highlights Chris's role as he pitched the U.S. team to an upset
win over Taiwan in the 1989 Little League World Series, after Taiwan had
won six consecutive titles.  The rest of the article covers the Olympic
Festival, Chris's older brother Ted who is with the Hartford Whalers, and
Chris's plans for the future which he says are "flexible."  The article
quotes Chris as saying, "I don't really have a timetable.  If they [the
Rocky Mountain/Colorado Avalanche, formerly the Quebec Nordiques] call
and want me to [play minor league hockey], then I'll go.  Otherwise, I'll
finish school and hopefully I can play on the national team."

A very complimentary article for Chris, college hockey, Little League,
and the Olympic Festival from a newspaper which has just under four years
to get ready for the NC$$s in Anaheim in '99.  This was definitely a step
in the right direction IMHO.

Margie Rennett
Go BU - National, HE, and Beanpot Champions!!!!!