From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 15:12:02 -0400
Here is the Princeton class of 1999. All comments are mine,
based on conversations with various recruiters. Heights and weights
are Don Cahoon's estimates - not confirmed (as opposed to the usually
reliable information we get on the official rosters :-)).
Following the list are Cahoon's quotes from the press release,
and some general comments by me.

1) Syl Apps III, 5'11", 175, Forward, Unionville, Ont/Upper Canada College:
       Toronto Star 2nd Team All-Provincial (High Schools only)
       The Varsity Blues lost to Nichols in the league championship game
       Dad is former Penguin, etc., who played freshman hockey for PU in '67
       Granpa Syl is in the NHL hall of fame
       Smart, creative player
       Early admit

2) Brian Horst, 5'11", 175, Forward, South St. Paul MN/South St. Paul H.S.
       Star Tribune HM All-Metro
       Played in Metro-Outer Senior All-Star game
       Team won state Section 2AA championship in his junior year
       Was starting QB for football team
       Early admit

3) Jeff Halpern, 5'10", 180, Forward, Potomac, Md./Stratford Jr. B (Ont)
       Maryland native played at St. Paul's School in N.H. for 4 years
       Played on Washington Little Capitals growing up
       Hit his growth spurt very late - was 5'6, 150 or so two years ago
       Power play quarterback, tough kid

4) Jason Given, 5'10", 185, Forward, Penticton, B.C./Penticton BCJHL
       Speedster, probably faster than Casson Masters
       Solid all-around player

5) Michael Acosta, 6' 185, Defense, Toms River, NJ/Shattuck St.Mary's (MN)
       Played at least two years, maybe three, Toms River North in NJ
       Expected to step in and play

6) Steve Shirreffs, 6'4, 210, Defense, Norwich, Vt./Hotchkiss
       Big, strong kid with some offensive instincts
       Scored first goal in 2-1 win for NE Prep School title over Lawrence
       Expected to step in and play

7) Scott Bertoli, 5'10" 188, Forward, Milton, Ont./Milton Merchants Jr. A
       Hard-nosed kid who is solidly built
       Toronto Provincial Jr. A Rookie of the Year in 93-94

8) Jackson Hegland, 6'1", 185, Defense, Calgary/Calgary Royals
       Stay-at-home type who might crack the lineup next year

9) Nick Rankin, Goalie, Minnetonka, Minn./Minnetonka HS
       Star Tribune HM All-Metro
       Played in Metro-Outer Senior All-Star game
       2.06 goals against, 92.0 save pct. in regular season

Don Cahoon on the class of '99:

"We're losing a class this year that has meant so much to our program,"
said Cahoon, "so in trying to replace them, I think we have done that
athletically. This is the group that we'll try to build off of for the next
four years.

"We're bringing in three quality defensemen who can play right away, and
all five of the forwards can come right in and play. It's hard to say if
there's any one player who will come in and be more ready to contribute
than the others, but Jason Given is coming with three years of junior
experience and he has world class speed. Syl Apps and Brian Horst are both
good with the puck and smart around the net. Steven Shirreffs is a smart,
strong defenseman, and Nick Rankin will be a very good Division I
goaltender. We're very happy with this class."

Geoff's comments:

A good, deep class - may be Cahoon's best; certainly comparable to the
class of '96 (Jason Smith, Jonathan Kelley, J.P. O'Connor, James Konte,
Brent Flahr, et al.). This class is more forward-heavy to compensate for
graduation losses (Ian Sharp, Mervin Kopeck, Ethan Early, Corey Rhodes).

Two geopraphical notes; Acosta is New Jersey born-and-raised. I'm not
sure of the last time Prineton had a Jersey native on the roster, but
it has been awhile (there were lots of them in the 50s and early 60s).
Two Minnesota boys (Horst and Rankin), a direct result of assistant
coach John Hamre's connection to the state (he was Woog's
graduate assistant and is a Minn. native).

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck