From:
"Lee M. Klancher" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
leeford200 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 10:17:47 EST
Denver University's head coach Frank Serratore was fired after a
disappointing season that saw a talented team finish ninth due to a glut of
injuries (they lost something like 115 man hours due to injuries). Even so,
the Pioneers skated with speed and style and played gutsy, competitive
hockey. John Gilbert of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that DU arena
averaged 93% capacity this year--a number unequaled since DU's 1986
WCHA-championship season.

DU Athletic Director Jack McDonald is quoted in the story. "Frank took over
the team in 5th place and the facts are that over four years, Frank won 35
percent of his games. Last year, we were satisfied. We were happy with 19
wins. But I'm not happy with this year."

A fact McDonald doesn't speak about is Frank's recruitment of a very talented
group of skaters, including what is probably the most explosive top line in
the WCHA and at least four European players who brought a lot of speed and
finesse as well as some color to the team.

In the same story, an unnamed WCHA coach states, "No coach in the WCHA ever
said that Frank did a poor coaching job. All anybody ever said was, 'Can you
believe Denver got another injury?'"

Frank was also known for his wit and candor. It's unfortunate that the DU
administration is unable to see beyond the result of an injury-ridden season.
The WCHA will be a lesser place without Frank Serratore gracing the bench.

Lee Klancher
Minnesota '92