Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 11:55:20 -0500
These remarks are made in response to Greg's comments about Cornell's goal-
tending this weekend.

Greg writes...
The defense completely collapsed, the goaltending was inspiringly bad.

The first point I agree with wholeheartedly! The defense was slow, flat
footed, and emotionless. The opposing teams (RPI and Union) met with no
resistance as they crossed the blue line into the Cornell zone. The defensemen
must stand the attacking player up AT THE BLUE LINE! Cornell let RPI and Union
deep into the zone before they took the man. The forwards were slow to
backcheck, allowing to offense to generate several odd man scoring opportunites.

This leads me to the goaltending. I don't care who is in net, whether it be
Andy Bandurski or Ken Dryden, it is difficult to stop all of the odd man
rushes Cornell faces in a game. Though the goaltending was not sharp, both
goalies made great saves. In the RPI game, the score could have easily been
8 - 0 instead of 4 - 0 after the first period. Bandurski made several big saves
during RPI's first period onslaught. The goalies (Bandurski in particular) are
the victims of poor defensive support, facing 2 on 1, 3 on 2 rushes most of
the night. True they let in a few soft goals but when you face 30 - 40 shots a
game, a few soft ones are bound to get by you.

I will not discuss the future of Cornell hockey as Eric has done this earlier.
I just wish the Cornell team the best of luck for their upcoming playoff game.

Congratulations to Union on a fine season!

Mike
ULowell '91
SUNY Albany '94
Go Chiefs