From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 10:15:01 -0500
Having read Keith's most recent post concerning BG having to play Ferris in
the first round, I still question Miami's decision to play UAF as opposed to
Ferris.  When the same question was posed to Ron Mason recently, he said (and
this is not verbatim) that it would be tough to play a team in the playoffs
that you haven't seen all year (Miami didn't play UAF this year either).  Since
Miami's one win vs. Ferris was at HOME, it's a little more shocking.  But, then
again, I'm not in Oxford making the decisions.

With the pairings, MSU, in a sense, lucked out.  We get to play one of the two
(only) teams we swept all season, Illinois-Chicago (the other was Kent).  Since
the odds are that, barring upsets, we will play the winner of the BG-Ferris
series (should we beat UIC, of course), I have a plea for those of you in
Bowling Green, Ohio:  BEAT THE BULLDOGS!!  Please!  We'd prefer not to have to
see them again.  If there is a team in the league more schizoid than MSU, it
would have to be Ferris.  Just look at their last 4 games: a 6-4 win at Munn
against MSU, an 8-3 loss at home to ND, a 2-1 loss at home to MSU, and then
they go to Ann Arbor and beat up Michigan 6-2.  (Not that I don't enjoy seeing
the Wolverines get beaten, :-), but come on.)  Considering that, it might be
wiser to play a team you haven't seen instead of playing one when you're not
sure which one of their teams is going to show up.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU (NIT-bound) '87, UTenn (homeward-bound) '92, MSU (barring a complete
collapse, NC$$-bound) who the hell knows when?
TA UNIONS STILL SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!