From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 11:26:51 CST
Joel Kitay writes:

>The list of the All-Decade Hockey East team was posted here yesterday and
>after a night's rest, I suddenly realized that Tony Amonte (nee BU, current
>Ranger) was excluded from the list.
>My freshman year he had about as good a season as any college player. Dave
>Emma edged him out for the Hobey but look at the two players now.
>Anyone else notice any snubs?

Hmm...while my partisan side rests with Amonte, I think the All-Decade team is fair. When Mike Machnik
prepped the Hockey-Lers with his picks, he noted they were weighted, somewhat, in terms of "years of
service," i.e. the four-year accomplishments of, say, a Jim Montgomery outweight one superlative
season by Paul Karyia.

That said, Amonte is in some pretty tough company. But I think he'd be a better selection than Peter
Ahola, who DID make first-team. If there was a  Second Team, Amonte would be a lock.

As far as an Emma/Amonte "where are they now" comparison, Amonte had a stellar rookie season, but
has been ineffectual this year. Emma seems to have fallen victim to the "Hobey Jinx," which has hit
every winner with the exception of Neal Broten. Which begs the question, Can Karyia snap the jinx when
he turns pro?

GS