NETANN-L Archives

- NETANN-L - Networkmaine Network Announcement List

NETANN-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Irelann Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- NETANN-L - UNET Network Announcement List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:20:48 -0400
Sunday August 17th we are planing to replace the server that provides
mailboxes, IMAP, POP and client SMTP services for UMS IDs.  This old
machine is most generally referred to by its alias mail.maine.edu.

It is being replaced with a newer machine with more and faster
processors and more memory.    The new machine will also be running a
newer version of the operating system (RHEL5.2,  old was RHEL4.7) and
a newer version of the mail software (cyrus 2.3.7 old was 2.2.12).  We
will also be switching authentication from Radius to LDAP.

If all goes well, about the only noticeable change will be that
passwords will now be case sensitive.  The web pages linked off
mail.maine.edu for changing a password are still case insensitive for
now and can be used to set a new password.  The link to "Reset a lost
Password" can also be used if the password has been forgotten.  Note
that case sensitive passwords are current best practice.

We will be starting around 6AM and expect to be done by 8AM.  As with
any major upgrade, there may be problems that we will deal with after
the upgrade is completed.

--
Irelann Kerry Anderson phone: (207)561-3508
Systems and Operations